CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, November 15, 2009

Hunting, Edit Miscommunication, and College

Alright, it's about 11 PM so I'll see if I can make this short.

I went deer hunting a little while ago. I had to get up at 5:20 (actually I was supposed to be at my friend's house at 5 AM...if you're interested, I didn't go slower than 75 on the way out lol) but it was well worth it....I kinda think my friends were a littl disapointed when I didn't freak out during the gutting part.

Now I just have to figure out some good ways to cook deer. Any ideas anyone?






I went out to cover a newspaper story at a cemeterary. The people the event was about had already been there. My edit failed to tell me that detail, so I was walking around when I bumped into this lady with a camera.

"You just taking pictures for the sake of it?" I asked

"No. Actually I'm a photographer with the newspaper and I'm supposed to be covering an event, but the people aren't here."

I laughed. "I'm the reporter."

The funny thing about this whole thing was that a friend of mine proposed that day and a family I'm friends with had a child that day...why did I end up walking around in a cemetary on a day like that? God trying to tell me something deep philosophical? I'll figure it out later. lol



Sat down to start writing my research paper that's due on the 28th. Got about 2 pages in about 45 minutes. Feeling good about that paper.

I only have 3 more weeks till this semester is over! Wooohooo!



Considering looking into getting a motorcycle. Let's go through pros and cons. On one hand, it's really cool and really cheap. On the other, you die if someone hits you....this might be a short argument with myself. maybe ;)

6 comments:

Araken said...

Wow, what a day!

Jared said...

wow! The deer hunting looks like fun!

yeah, the whole dying if someone, or you, make one mistake sort of puts a damper on things!

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

ah live dangerously!

Jamin said...

And that was just the weekend, Araken lol

I'm having a little problem getting over how my BROTHER is freaking out about safety and my MOTHER says to live dangerously. lol

Sounds like a song to me.

Ian said...

I want to go hunting sometime...I'm sure the males in my family would love to go, but I don't know many people who would trust me with a gun...:/


Jamin, when you first started writing for newspapers, did you just write articles and send them in to the people who printed the papers, or did you talk to them about it or something? Just wondering... a lot...

:)Ian(:

Jamin said...

Ian, what I did was educate myself about writing as much as possible and then a friend of mine (my boss's wife) decided to mention that I was a good writer to a friend of hers, which happened to be the head editor of the newspaper.

I had to go in and let them interview me. That's probably what they'll do for you after you approach them.

For you, I don't know if there is an offical prodical for approaching them that I sidestepped, but having an event/story you want to cover would show them that you can find your stories (and mention what story you'd like to cover in the interview)

If you have a connection like that, use it. I found out it's very true that it's not what you know it's who you know. :)

I am not an official writer for the newspaper, btw. I'm a free lance reporter, which gives me a LOT of freedom to decide how much stuff I cover and when. After you develop a reputation, they'll start assigning you stuff.

One thing I recommend (if you haven't already done it) is to read up on writing for newspapers. Bring a sample of your writing. Tell them what "beat" you would like to cover. When they first asked me that question, I had no idea what they were talking about lol

Now, I cover the religious and community events beat, which will keep you busy if you keep your eyes open.

One more thing: this probably won't make you rich. I get paid $35 a story, which can take me a lot of work depending on what I'm covering. However, this has been a great opportunity for me to improve my writing skills and taught me how to operate under some pressure.

Let me know how it goes! I'll probably post a checklist of stuff I wrote for myself that helped me when I first started writing for the newspaper.

Good luck!