CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Quick Update

This summer's been pretty fun so far and I haven't even gone on vacation yet!

I turned in a scholarship essay the other day about The Wizard of Oz, Toto, and money management, I registered for college classes, played paintball on some friends' property, and experienced my first day of something called Sports camp at a ministry I volunteer at.

How it works is we bring van-loads of kids to certain locations and we have coaches who instruct them in the sport they're interested in. The people in charge picked me to play basketball...which means I'm pretty much learning right along with the kids :)

One thing that got my attention this morning was listening to two boys talking this morning about butting heads. I didn't think anything of it, till one actually head-butted the other. The injured party didn't like that and punched the other kid.

Only in a group of pre-Jr. high guys....

I discovered the kids are a lot easier to control when you learn their names, btw. fyi, if you ever do anything with a lot of kids!

5 comments:

Echoes in Ink said...

Your camp sounds like... fun. I'm currently teaching a public speaking conference for kids and teens and I've found out the name thing. Nametags are good. Right now, I'm calling all of them by their character names from our group interp... though it's a little weird sometimes when I'm yelling, "HEY! Beanstalk! Get over here!"

Have fun at camp :)

Echoes in ink,
Catey

Jared said...

haha. Headbutting sounds like something I would do! lol

Basketball? That is funny. You???? lol

Jamin said...

Thanks, Catey.

Thanks for the support, bro. :) I'm actually learning a lot now. Don't really like the coach, though. I have to look up when I talk to him.

Araken said...

I got an offer to teach at a kid's camp this summer...now what do I do?

Jamin said...

Is it a bunch of Bible stuff? If that's it, I'd take it in a heartbeat!

The important thing is that you earn the kids' trust as soon as possible. You can do that through listening to them and taking a real interest in what they're saying or feeling.

Also, show you want what's best for them. Be on the lookout for their best interests.

Don't let yourself get worn down, either! The chances of biting someone's head off really goes up when you're stressed, so keep calm...even if they throw a soaked sponge in your face after an exhausting day.

Any thing else you guys can add to that?