CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, July 24, 2009

The Media, Trip Home, Plasma

I'm not sure if I said this in my last post, but we got the van back. And among the things the thieves took was a camera with a picture of me riding a pig in Seattle with my cowboy hat and everything. That guy who took the van just made it personal :)

Cy and I made it back to Texas alright after we said bye to the family...wait. Let me talk about the media in Seattle real quick.

As a reporter, I'm not used to being the one interviewed. THAT was kinda different. It annoyed me to no end when I heard one of the reporters walked into a room where Jared and the younger ones were and said the equivalent of, "Alright, now that your parents aren't here, what would you like to say?"

BIG red flag on the play! A reporter never sidesteps the parents of minors, or jokes about doing it. Some kids don't talk as well when parents are around, true, but it's better to avoid that whole issue and a bad reputation than...oh well. I didn't really like that TV station anyway. lol

Also, and this is just funny, a lady from a radio station interviewed us. I could tell she was from the school of thought that says when you're interviewing someone, you make eye contact and NEVER break it. THAT was scary! Her eyes grew, her cheeks sucked in, and she jabbed the microphone into my face whenever I said a word. Has a salmon interviewed you before? Because she looked like one a few times.

The trip home was pretty cool. For the sake of brevity, I'll say cops are aggresive about establishing their turf when they've been gone, and sticking your head out the window for a picture isn't the best way to put the driver at ease.

More recently, I gave plasma yesterday. It wasn't real scary or anything, and the process was relatively painless. Albeit, it was kinda weird having a needle in my arm for an hour and a half.

Let me tell you a quick story of when I was getting my physical, and then I'd better run. Let me state here and now that I have pretty good reflexes...

You know how doctors check your reflexes by hitting your knee with a mallet? She hit me in the left knee. My leg kicked without my permission (am I the only one who tries to be a rebel in the doc's office by trying to stay awake under drugs or refusing to kick when they test your reflexes?)

She moved over to the right knee. She drew back and tapped the right knee and...my left knee kicked again while the right one stayed home! I just try to give the docs something they don't expect every now and then to liven up their routine, honest. :)

Congratulations if you've read all the way to this point. You made it! lol

11 comments:

Daughter of Trust said...

You are too funny sometimes...with your dry witty satire; )I was going to sell plasma once but couldn't because of my weight...now I'm just too scarred....anyways...BTW this is your sister...I have a blog.

Anonymous said...

Jamin
Good post. It is good to see an update from you. I am sure your public was wondering if you had dropped off of the planet.

Hope everything is well.

Say Hi to Cy

Love you
Dad

Camden said...

Lol, you have a great way of explaining your life. "Has a salmon interviewed you before?" =D

I think once or twice while I was in the doctor's office, they attempted to get my knee to react, and it stayed happily where it was! I should try that other knee reaction some time =).

Camden

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

I loved reading your perspective of the media circus. I never would have picked up on those htings...but you are right.

Gald you updated...

As always,
Your favorite mom

Natalie said...

Enjoying all the humorous stories!

Anonymous said...

Jamin:

Oh Yes, July 5th, 2009..... and in just a couple of days the remaining family will be heading for their assignment.

Praying for you as you work and prepare for this fall.

love/prayers G'Ma T.

Jamin said...

I try to be, Bre!

Good to hear from you, dad.

Camden, good luck with that! They'll probably put you in a straight jacket if you accidentally let the correct leg go and say something like, "Arrr. It didn't work." :)

Thanks, mom

Thanks, Natalie

Keep the prayers coming fast and hard, grandma :)

Judi said...

Hey Jamin,

Bummer about the camera..I would hate that...and about the needle in your arm four an hour and a half..that couldn't have been to comfortable :P

Michael said...

Jamin
When are you going to post again?

Dad

Jared said...

hey! You going to update this thing????? lol

Nate Townsend said...

Jamin,
Glad you two made it home safely and didn't drive through any fields. It was good to see you and Cy for a couple days!

Nate